Text templates for logs

ChrisDen

That was quick. Did not even have a chance to create the new page and it was there.

I have made some edits. Nothing major.

What is the effect of the check mark on the list of templates? Other than for a bit of the message to be displayed on the settings screen.

This was on my "I'm confused" list. I was unclear on the interaction of the Log Defaults:Log Type default setting and the Text Templates when a log type is checked as the default. What happens when they conflict. Experimentation shows what seem oddities.

Log Type: Didn't Find It

Text Templates default set to Found It.

Do a log and I see Text Templates Found It plus text message from there.

Turn off Enable Log Type Templates and I see the very same behavior. (This seems wrong unless I misunderstand the setting)

Delete the check mark from the Text Templates list and then the Didn't Find It setting finally appears.

I assumed Log Type default existed before Text Templates and is there for folks who aren't ready to dive into Text Templates. Still, with two places to set the default, confusion can exist.

53 minutes ago, rragan said:

I assumed Log Type default existed before Text Templates and is there for folks who aren't ready to dive into Text Templates. Still, with two places to set the default, confusion can exist.

Log Defaults are not the same as Text Templates. Log Defaults are used to set defaults when logging. E.g. if you set Found It then that will always be the default when you are creating a log.

48 minutes ago, ChrisDen said:

The fact that you can only check one of the list adds to the confusion

Setting the checkmark/default inserts the text into a log message regardless of the log type. If you don't use a checkmark/default then text templates will only be inserted based on if you set a log type for that template, or you insert them manually into a message by choosing the ... menu or long press to get the context menu.

57 minutes ago, rragan said:

Turn off Enable Log Type Templates and I see the very same behavior. (This seems wrong unless I misunderstand the setting)

Bug. :(

Text Templates with log type are used to automatically insert that template into a newly created log IF that log type matches.

Does this explain?

Well I thought I was clear but experimentation suggests I'm not. 

Use case: Log Type set to Found It. Log Type Text Templates enabled. A single template with text "wwwww" checked and associated with no log type.  When I try to log a cache, I get Found as the Log type and no text at all in the log message. I think I expected to get wwwww since "Setting the checkmark/default inserts the text into a log message regardless of the log type" seemed to be my situation.

Is something wrong or am I still confused? I will defer writing more words until I'm sure I don't document a possible bug.

14 minutes ago, rragan said:

I think I expected to get wwwww since "Setting the checkmark/default inserts the text into a log message regardless of the log type" seemed to be my situation.

I am not able to replicate the situation here, it seems to be working correctly for me.

• I set Default Log Type to Found It
  • Created a text template with no log type. Template is selected.
  • Went to the Log cache screen and Found it was selected and my log text was inserted