Getting Started with Cachly

rragan

I have written the whole of this section this evening. Look over it and provide feedback (or edit typos, bad grammar, etc.). I tried to cover the experience as it would be seen leading a newbie through the process.

http://www.cach.ly/help/index.php/Getting_Started_with_Cachly

Editorial note: I didn't realize how painful geocaching.com's limit of 3 caches a day could be until I randomly picked one, loaded the full details and discovered it had 5 DNF's in a row. One cache load wasted on one I'm not likely to find. Sigh!

I won't edit your masterpiece but here are some minor comments

• A mention of basic membership limiting you to D1.5T1.5 and lower??
  • I would consider taking the limitations of basic membership to another page where it can be done in more detail.
  • Should the two login screens not be next to each other?

8 hours ago, ChrisDen said:

I won't edit your masterpiece but here are some minor comments

• A mention of basic membership limiting you to D1.5T1.5 and lower??
  • I would consider taking the limitations of basic membership to another page where it can be done in more detail.
  • Should the two login screens not be next to each other?

Separate page added on Basic Membership and linked to. Fixed login screen layout. Thanks

This is excellent! I can't thank you enough!

One thing I think that should be pointed out. I get a fair amount of users saying "why is my email address already taken when I signup" and they are mad. I am not sure why they are not clearly seeing the geocaching logo on the login or signup screen and realize that they are trying to signup for a service they already have. 

I have to tell them that Cachly is a third-party partner of geocaching.com so they just login with that info.

1 hour ago, Nic Hubbard said:

This is excellent! I can't thank you enough!

One thing I think that should be pointed out. I get a fair amount of users saying "why is my email address already taken when I signup" and they are mad. I am not sure why they are not clearly seeing the geocaching logo on the login or signup screen and realize that they are trying to signup for a service they already have. 

I have to tell them that Cachly is a third-party partner of geocaching.com so they just login with that info.

I'll add a note about this. Could also go in the FAQs.

I'm traveling without much time online. Definitely should have it called out in the login / getting started sections that you don't have any Cachly account and your userid/password in Cachly is your Geocaching.com account.

Might also consider referencing "login" vs "signin" in the text in a couple places so it matches the text on the button. I didn't want to change those. 

Foe the Installing section I was looking for a reliable way to link to the app directly in the app store but couldn't find a way that was ok on a device and off a device regardless of geo-location. Maybe someone knows a way?

Made some very tiny edits before heading out for the day. 

Something I never understood clearly and I'm sure Nic can explain:

If I register with Facebook and Login via Facebook, how does my username and account get created on geocaching.com.  I didn't register that way but I'm guessing geocaching.com gets my email from Facebook and I still have to create a geocaching.com identity. Then login via Facebook would convey my email allowing geocaching.com to find me and log me in. Is that how it works?

3 minutes ago, rragan said:

Something I never understood clearly and I'm sure Nic can explain:

If I register with Facebook and Login via Facebook, how does my username and account get created on geocaching.com.  I didn't register that way but I'm guessing geocaching.com gets my email from Facebook and I still have to create a geocaching.com identity. Then login via Facebook would convey my email allowing geocaching.com to find me and log me in. Is that how it works?

I have tested this flow quite a few times.

When you register with Facebook, you go through the normal authentication with FB, then you are taken to the geocaching.com website and asked to create a username and password there. Once you do this the two are somehow tied together and you are able to use the login with Facebook option from then on.

10 hours ago, Team DEMP said:

I'm traveling without much time online. Definitely should have it called out in the login / getting started sections that you don't have any Cachly account and your userid/password in Cachly is your Geocaching.com account.

Might also consider referencing "login" vs "signin" in the text in a couple places so it matches the text on the button. I didn't want to change those. 

Foe the Installing section I was looking for a reliable way to link to the app directly in the app store but couldn't find a way that was ok on a device and off a device regardless of geo-location. Maybe someone knows a way?

Made some very tiny edits before heading out for the day. 

Which do we want as far as standardizing nomenclature. Geocaching.com calls it "Sign in with Geocaching" on the screen you get when you click "Login to Geocaching" on the Cachly splash screen. However, if you go to Geocaching.com website, you get  "Log In" but once in, the drop down says "Sign Out". I think we are doomed to inconsistency. The best I can see is to make Cachly consistent with the Splash Screen and the Sign In screen that follows.

1 minute ago, rragan said:

Which do we want as far as standardizing nomenclature. Geocaching.com calls it "Sign in with Geocaching" on the screen you get when you click "Login to Geocaching" on the Cachly splash screen. However, if you go to Geocaching.com website, you get  "Log In" but once in, the drop down says "Sign Out". I think we are doomed to inconsistency. The best I can see is to make Cachly consistent with the Splash Screen and the Sign In screen that follows.

Maybe sign in and login can just be interchangeable.

Just now, Nic Hubbard said:

Cachly is also localized in the following languages:

English, Dutch, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish

Is this worth mentioning since the Wiki is likely to stay in English until/if you find translators.

6 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

English, Dutch, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish

Is this worth mentioning since the Wiki is likely to stay in English until/if you find translators.

Also added this to area around log in as it is a perpetual source of confusion.

"Note: To be clear, you never have an account with Cachly. Instead, you have an account with geocaching.com and you permit Cachly to sign in for you and act on your behalf with them. What you can and cannot do in Cachly is determined by your geocaching.com account (Basic vs. Premium membership)."

27 minutes ago, rragan said:

Also added this to area around log in as it is a perpetual source of confusion.

"Note: To be clear, you never have an account with Cachly. Instead, you have an account with geocaching.com and you permit Cachly to sign in for you and act on your behalf with them. What you can and cannot do in Cachly is determined by your geocaching.com account (Basic vs. Premium membership)."

Excellent. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 11:54 AM, Nic Hubbard said:

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I'm wondering who actually did the non-English translations? Did you use a service or work with Cachly users? I was thinking about putting a note to contact you if wiki readers are interested in helping with new localizations but didnt want to overstep. 

1 hour ago, ACME WildCachers said:

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I'm wondering who actually did the non-English translations? Did you use a service or work with Cachly users? I was thinking about putting a note to contact you if wiki readers are interested in helping with new localizations but didnt want to overstep. 

These are localized by volunteer Cachly uses. You can see that info in the About Cachly section. 

We can ask for volunteers but they will need to be committed to helping translate each release. 

Here and there, you changed first screen to left screen. If the user has narrowed their screen or is on a mobile device, the side-by-side screens will likely end up one above the other. That's why I used "first" screen". I agree "left" is clearer as long as they happen to be side-by-side but that is not assured.

10 minutes ago, rragan said:

If the user has narrowed their screen or is on a mobile device, the side-by-side screens will likely end up one above the other.

I definitely did not consider this, but it's an excellent point. Maybe the adjacent screenshots should just be broken apart and placed in between paragraphs? I think each screen has enough accompanying text that we could avoid the issue altogether that way.

1 hour ago, ACME WildCachers said:

I made several tweaks to the language on the page, primarily adding clarification and some links to more detailed pages of the wiki. It's really coming together!

Looks great to me. I am wondering if the support email address is going to get spammed though. 

8 minutes ago, rragan said:

General layout for mobile is still to be studied I think.

The wiki uses the MediaWiki software. If anyone wants to look into the skins for mobile you are welcome. I tried a few but hated how it gave the wiki a completely different look rather than the wiki look we are all used to.

2 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

If anyone wants to look into the skins for mobile you are welcome.

I did one Google search and came across this page.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Mobiles,_tablets_and_responsive_design

Perhaps an extension would allow you to keep the typical desktop look and also get something better on mobile?

4 minutes ago, ACME WildCachers said:

I did one Google search and came across this page.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Mobiles,_tablets_and_responsive_design

Perhaps an extension would allow you to keep the typical desktop look and also get something better on mobile?

I have tried all of them but was never happy. I never found one that still has the wiki look.