Corrected Coordinates

ciarmer

Caches within pocket queries which contain corrected coordinates (for example, puzzles which have been solved), contain the corrected coordinates.

Often a CO will state that the posted coordinates for a puzzle cache are not the cache coordinates but might be a good place to park or show where a trail head is.

When the corrected coordinates are downloaded with the pocket query, are the originally posted coordinates also downloaded as a waypoint somewhere? It appears as if there is a waypoint which in the cases I've checked, contains the same corrected coordinates. It would be great if the original coordinates were preserved as another waypoint in the cache data.

30 minutes ago, ciarmer said:

Just as an FYI .... I'm not sure how they do it, but both GSAK and Geosphere identify caches with corrected coordinates when pocket queries are downloaded. In addition, both the original and the corrected coordinates become part of the cache's data.

We will be fixing Cachly to work this way in 2.0. :)

• 3 months later...

I began to use Version 2 today and I happened to be working with a number of Mystery caches with corrected coordinates. I noticed, in "Live" view that while the caches with corrected coordinates appear properly on the map, they seem to be in the wrong order in List mode. The List display seems to use the posted coordinates to determine the cache's distance from your current position. So, you could be standing right next to a cache with corrected coordinates and it will display properly on the map but when clicking on the list, it is way down the list. Is this a bug or was this intended?

13 hours ago, ciarmer said:

I began to use Version 2 today and I happened to be working with a number of Mystery caches with corrected coordinates. I noticed, in "Live" view that while the caches with corrected coordinates appear properly on the map, they seem to be in the wrong order in List mode. The List display seems to use the posted coordinates to determine the cache's distance from your current position. So, you could be standing right next to a cache with corrected coordinates and it will display properly on the map but when clicking on the list, it is way down the list. Is this a bug or was this intended?

Are you only seeing this issue in List View? Or also on the cache details and Navigate To screens?

It isn't intended, so I will look into this issue on Monday.

Please recognize that I am a new user. Here's what appears to be happening:

The corrected coordinates show up properly in the cache details (along with the correct distance from my location). The Navigate To" screen uses the corrected coordinates to navigate to. However, the order in which the cache shows up appears to be using the original posted coordinates rather than the corrected coordinates, even though the distance shown in the list for the cache in question is calculated using the correct coordinates. So, if I'm standing at the corrected coordinates, the cache I'm standing at is third on the list near another that is 2 miles away. It should show up as first on the list if it was using the corrected coordinates. It shows up on the map as being at my location and the distance shown for the cache is 15 feet in list view as well as in detail view and on the Navigate To screen. I hope that serves to help rather than confuse.

Thanks Nic. This "Live" distance sorting bug seems to be focused only on corrected coordinates. There is an offline list distance sorting issue that is far more consequential. The sorting by distance for offline caches seems random and the list changes with every refresh. I believe you already know about that one but just in case, I thought I'd mention it.

20 hours ago, ciarmer said:

Thanks Nic. This "Live" distance sorting bug seems to be focused only on corrected coordinates. There is an offline list distance sorting issue that is far more consequential. The sorting by distance for offline caches seems random and the list changes with every refresh. I believe you already know about that one but just in case, I thought I'd mention it.

Yes, the sorting by distance issue has been fixed in 2.0.1, but thank you for pointing it out. :)